Location: South Philadelphia
Stipend: $3,000 (paid in monthly payments, prorated)
Duration: 3 months, (mid-February through mid-May)
Scout is an interdisciplinary design and development practice working to transform the Bok, a former Vocational School and an iconic 340,000 sq. ft. Art Deco building in South Philadelphia, into a creative facility for artisans, entrepreneurs and community groups. This mixed-use development is unlike anything undertaken to date in the region and as it is in its early stages of development, the role provides a unique opportunity for an ambitious and talented individual to contribute to a critical stage of the project. To learn more, please visit www.buildingbok.com.
Scout is seeking a full or part time Design Intern starting in mid-February 2016 to work as part of the design team. Candidates should be able to commit to a minimum of three days per week, which should include two consecutive days. The role will focus on carefully recording the existing building and its context as well as assisting in the development and delivery of design projects. This position requires an enthusiastic, detail oriented candidate who is interested in working with existing structures. The ideal candidate is pursuing a Master’s Degree and/or holds an undergraduate degree in architecture and/or historic preservation.
Successful candidates will have a relevant background, applicable skills and enthusiasm for Scout’s work. We’re looking for engaged thinkers with diverse skill sets, who will bring creativity, experience and enthusiasm to our small and dedicated team.
- To record the existing structure through producing and verifying as-built drawings and a photo documentary of the existing condition
- To assist design projects in the production and amendment of drawings
- To assist with facilitating the construction and delivery of projects
- General administrative tasks as needed
- Experienced in Adobe CreativeSuite and CAD software (preferably Vectorworks) with exceptional graphic presentation, hand drawing and design skills
- Working knowledge of 3D drawing software i.e.SketchUp or Rhino
- Precise approach to work and an eye for detail
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- A highly professional demeanor with strong attention to detail
- A self motivated and proactive individual with enthusiasm for Scout’s work
- Editing, copy editing and photo research skills a bonus
- Must be comfortable performing administrative tasks as assigned
- Successful candidate will be expected to work from their own laptop or computer and should have access to CAD drawing software, Adobe CreativeSuite and Microsoft Office
To apply, send your cover letter, resume and examples of work with “Design Internship application” in the subject line to email@example.com by Friday, February 26, 2016.