director of operations
Location: Bok, 1901 S. 9th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19148
Experience: 5-7 years minimum
Salary: Commensurate with experience and generous holiday leave
Start Date: May 2021
ABOUT SCOUT and BOK
Scout is the urban design and development practice currently leading the redevelopment of the iconic Bok building in South Philadelphia into a creative hub for innovators, artists, makers, entrepreneurs, community services. Today the 340,000 square foot building is filled with over 200 businesses, makers, creatives, and community services and draws over 250,000 visitors annually to visit events, food & beverage options, and happenings within the building. The scale of the building means there is the ability to accommodate a wide span of users in spaces ranging from 200 square feet to 25,000 square feet. BOK has many types of businesses — ranging from non-profits, bakeries and test kitchens, architects and lawyers, designers and photographers, artists and craftsmen and women, musicians, a hair salon, a pre-school, and a community health clinic. For more information, please visit www.buildingbok.com.
At our core we are urbanists that believe that atypical spaces require atypical approaches. We examine the pre-existing constraints and use these as the framing for new possibilities to emerge in resourceful, creative, and unexpected ways. With a mix of expertise - from design and planning to project management and community engagement — we are interested in non-traditional development and bringing old buildings back to life.
Scout is looking for an experienced, detail-oriented, personable and highly professional Property Manager to join our growing team at BOK. The position will work closely with our Facilities Director and Managing Partner to ensure that BOK’s property management objectives are met and leasing goals are well supported through a hospitality-driven approach.
This role requires strong customer service skills, a highly personable demeanor, an ability to solve problems under pressure and confidence in engaging with a variety of stakeholders. The ideal candidate is an individual who demonstrates a strong ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, enjoys problem solving and acts with tact and diplomacy, and has excellent written and verbal communication skills. This role involves walking the building and inspecting the property condition and therefore requires someone who is looking for a hands-on role and has the flexibility to adapt quickly to changing circumstances. We are a small, entrepreneurial, energetic team and therefore looking for someone who appreciates a fast-paced, start-up working environment and has the ability to remain highly organized in such a setting. Previous property management, hospitality or real estate development experience is essential.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITY
Provide hospitality-driven customer service to all tenants and partners
• Proactively communicate building-wide notices with individual follow-up and communication as required
• Regularly inspect and evaluate building equipment, systems, and grounds to ensure the appearance meets company standards
• Partner with construction on tenant fit-out and capital expenditure, and together with Facility Director, ensure tenant fit-out and room turnover work is coordinated effectively and completed on schedule and on budget
• Create, manage and execute annual budgets for operating and capital improvements
• Orchestrate team response to problems and challenges
• Oversee building operation and property management:
track administrative renewals such as permits, certifications, and inspections
review current security and access control systems and related equipment on a quarterly basis
regularly evaluate vendor and contractor relationships and contracts
coordinate data collection, analyzing results and generating reports related to building occupancy and demographics as required for financing (e.g. annual NMTC reporting) and otherwise
oversee development of building signage to support tenant and visitor navigation through building and property management-related updates
ensure all fire safety plans / inspections / certifications are up-to-date at all times
manage annual operating calendar (inspections / expirations)
Candidate should have a minimum of five years’ work experience in property management, real estate development or hospitality and have the professional confidence and tact to interact and work effectively with diverse personality types. Candidate must be highly detail oriented and organized, possess excellent communication skills, and enjoy multitasking. We are seeking a highly motivated, responsible individual with a strong capacity to work independently, handle a fast-
paced work environment with poise, and maintain a friendly, professional demeanor at all times.
• Versatile, resourceful, and not precious (not scared to try something new!)
• Proven track record in successfully delivering excellent hospitality-driven customer service where complex building issues are communicated clearly and empathetically
• Full understanding of property management and its financial aspects and reporting
• Highly proficient with Excel
• Reliable, pro-active and self-directed to take action and resolve problems
• Ability to remain highly organized in a complex environment
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and comfortable presenting in front of groups
• Strong work ethic and pro-active attitude
• Sound judgment and ability to deal effectively with matters of a confidential nature
• Highly detail-orientated with a high degree of professionalism, initiative, integrity, urgency and motivation
• In-depth knowledge of all state and local rules and regulations surrounding property management / code
• Experience with Appfolio or similar software
• Availability to travel and respond to building emergencies outside of business hours
Salary range commensurate with experience.
Scout also provides a highly competitive and valued benefits package, including vision and dental coverage, partner coverage, life insurance, PAID maternity and paternity leave and simple IRA matching. Scout also offers 20 days of holiday per year for all staff and numerous happy hours – in addition to 10 government recognized holidays! We also offer paid time off for voting and civic duty. We work hard, but we like to have balance too.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume with “Director of Operations” in the subject line to email@example.com. Only applicants who include a cover letter, resume, and salary expectation and submit through the proper channel will be considered. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis with the ambition of filling the role before the end of May 2021.
As a company and community, scout embraces and celebrates diverse cultures, perspectives, backgrounds, and opinions. Scout is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, gender, religion, physical ability, age, nation of origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or veteran status.